[at-l] Sport (or not!)

As a newbie to the list, I'll say that I joined it looking for
information updates about the trail and other goings-on. Between this
and the Baxter argument, I have almost left the list but persevered for
sake of humor and provocation of thought...

Big Orange

Big Orange, are you aware that the initials of your Trail Name are "B O"?  (morning attempt at humor)

If you want info on the Trail, gear, or other hiking related topic, check the archives first, then post your question here.

If you want to know how thru hikers describe their hike, go to www.trailjounal.com  and read this year's or a previous year's hiker journal.  Check and compare their gear and reasons to change it.

If you have gram-weenie interests, check out sites like www.trailquest.net, www.antigravitygear.com, www.fanaticfringe.com.  They'll lead you to other links.

If you're interested in a consumer report of gear, check out www.backpackgeartest.com

BEFORE you head out on the AT, check the section you're planning to hike for notices from the ATC at www.appalachiantrail.org

It's spring and thoughts are turned towards Springer Mountain.  Discussions here are stress relievers during Springer-Fever Season.  As soon as it's too late to start a hike at Springer and make it to Katahdin by Oct 15, the emails and topics will mellow-out.  The discussions will pick up again once the first of the Thru Hikers return to their computers and start posting here again.

It's the 'cycle of thru-hiker life' -- best to go with the flow.

Coosa (Trail ArchAngel on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia)
If you're already ON the ground, you don't have far to fall.
Casey the WonderDog and Crockett the ManlyDog