[at-l] Baxter State Park History Question

"Baxter Park rules for several years have banned cell phones in the park by
hikers."
_________________________

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this does not ring true to me.

To my understanding, Baxter prohibits USE of cell phones within the park.

Plenty of other places do so as well-- from the Louvre to the Framingham, MA
PO.  I am thinking that like with so many other places Baxter has no
prohibition with anyone keeping one in his pocket.

I am not sure anything written into the rules about it being OK to ring up
the authorities should someone begin hacking at the Venus de Milo, go
postal, or fall into anaphalactic shock after getting stung by a bee.   I
think its understood, however.

On a wilderness mountain top, I think that federal laws regarding an
individual's right  to reasonable of the public airways might trump the BSPA
regulations and keep you from doing too much hard time.

That said, I think I wish they did not exist.  Any benefit they provide
comes at a cost.  Of course, its less than the $700 satalite locator beacon
for sale in my last REI flyer :-).

Rick B

For Weary:  When they gave you that valve job, they didn't throw in a
pacemaker too, did they?   As an "electronic device", the written regulatins
suggest they are prohibitted, and I can't help but wonder how one turns them
off before a hike.