[at-l] Baxter State Park History Question

>"...I am hearing the echoes of Edward Abbey in all this ultra-elitist
>hate-humans cant. I have no objections to wilderness areas, we have several in
>Florida. However no one tries to keep people from carrying cellphones or radios
>in those areas. The Rangers have radios and if really needed I'm sure they
>would call in a life-flight helicopter for a rescue. The AT corridor is
>completely incompatible with a true wilderness area and  if Maine wants Baxter
>to be such a wilderness then the AT should just be  rerouted around it. The AT
>is a federal, publically funded park, part of the NPS and should not be made
>dangerous for use by the public."

Hey Bryan, Maine's Rusty was just making a cynical Maine in joke.

But you are right, this debate has nothing to do with safety and a lot to do
with political agendas. People walked the woods for millennia without cell
phones.

Any time people leave a paved path they are taking a risk. Most of us think the
risk is worth it. I suspect woods walking extends the human life, that Vermont's
Rusty thinks is sacred. We have become a nation of grossly fat couch potatoes.
People need to be told to get outside and take risks. They need physical
challenges, not coddling.

There are obviously thousands of things humans can do to make woods safer. Two
people have fallen off the ridge of the Gulf Hagas canyon in the past year and
died. Should we build guard rails?

The Knife Edge is a narrow rock scramble with thousand foot drop offs on each
side. Shall we build hand rails? How about installing chain link fences?

The elimination of radios in Baxter Park will have absolutely no impact on hiker
safety. Rangers will still have the ability to use alternative communication
devices.

Baxter Park rules for several years have banned cell phones in the park by
hikers. The rule is in response to the wishes of Gov. Baxter who spent a
lifetime assembling the park and giving it to the state. Some 65,000 people use
the park each year. Most seem to manage quite nicely without their phones.

I suppose a few cheat and carry them anyway. But I haven't heard anyone claiming
their phone saved them from getting hurt of from getting rescued.

But Bryan it strikes me that your suggestion is a good way to gauge the public
mood on this issue. Why don't you lobby Congress to route the trail away from
the park because of the cell phone rules. Let us know what response you get.

Weary