[at-l] Baxter State Park History Question

> >"...If they were truly "Friends of Baxter" the first thing they would
>want to see banned, would be "out of staters (to include "people from
>away").

To my reading of stuff on the net, the proposals in play have almost nothing
to do with phones and solar pannels and the other stuff that we get so bent
out of shape over on AT-L (rightly or wrongly) and almost everything to do
with limitting the number of people who visit parts of the BSP backcountry.
That and limitting snowmobiles.

Be careful what you wish for.  Thoase wanting a wilderness experience at
Baxter can find it without much trouble.  Those wanting a wilderness
experience at Chimney Pond won't find it no matter what changes are made.

I have no doubt that some of the things being proposed might make that and
other areas less crowded.  Will the moose and bear and birds care?  I doub't
it.  They have a different perspective about what wilderness is.  Limitting
access will make those who stay on the main tourist trails happier, however.
   Except for those who are told to stay home.

Yea, be carefull what you wish for.

Rick B

Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx