[at-l] Buffer around Baxter?

<clip>

FWIW. This new effort to provide the park that  Gov. Baxter sought and was
promised, is being pushed by a retired Methodist minister, who founded the
Friends of Baxter Park, and who has worked for years, to remind of the
sacred
promise we made as a state and as a society to Percival Baxter.

Weary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, Weary, please define for me what wilderness is?  And why a radio
antenna, transmitter and rescue gear violates the 'ideals of wilderness.'
And, please tell me why it is so abhorrent to expect some help when there's
an emergency on the mountain?  According to your logic, if someone is in
great need, just because they are in Baxter State Park, the heck with them
because of some idealistic pledge.  A human life is sacred, sir, not a
pledge.

For crying out loud, you'd think a Wal-Mart was being proposed out there
rather than radio equipment and a means for rescue communications.  Please
tell me, how does this violate 'the pledge?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You write:

"Rusty. I think it reasonable that those who enter a forever wild park,
should
not expect to find the protections of civilization. I think the park has a
responsibility to warn those who enter that while in the backcountry they
can
expect to be on their own, that they do so at their own risk, that they
should
not expect rescue if they run into trouble, or even to expect to be able to
ask
for rescue."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I say, why not?  Apparently your definition of wilderness is that one should
not be able to ask for help when needed.  I simply do not believe that a
Methodist minister would be against having the ability to have rescue
communications ability within the Park and that he/she finds that that is a
violation of some wilderness ideal.  I believe that aspect is propagated by
some radicals.  That's going too far.  We have a responsibility to care for
each other as human beings, not only to preserve what we have been given.
Biblical 'dominion' means stewardship, stewardship means caring.  If you
bust your back on Pamola, I care.  And, if I was able to, I would risk my
life to get you out, safely.  I've been there and have the T-shirt.

I believe that you and others are blowing this way out of proportion and, if
radio communications are so limited to be virtually non-existent in Baxter
State Park as to endanger lives AND endanger the protection of the Park,
then you and others are responsible for lives lost because of this
foolishness. rusty