[at-l] Food Cache

I have an upcoming hike in the works for which I'm thinking of caching
food. My plan is to start from Grafton Notch and head north with 4 days
of food, and cache another 4 day supply "3 or 4 days" down the trail. My
primary reason is to reduce pack weight but an added benifit would be to
eliminate an off-trail resuply.  During the last 5 years of section
hiking my longest continous days-on-trail have only been 4 before I'd
head off-trail into town to resupply. I'm really looking forward to 7 or
8 continous days on the trail. I know I could just pack the food and be
done with it, but it aint in my plans!
Soooooooo my question has to do with the 'best' way to cache food.
Should I hang it from a tree or place it on the ground under
rocks/branches/etc? Dig a hole and bury it? What container would be
appropriate? Has anyone here actually cached a food supply?
Pro's & con's appreciated!
Onestep