[at-l] parking question

Hey Wisperlight,

Got another approach for you...

Just drive a beat up old car.  Actually, it doesn't even have to be beat up,
it just has to look unattractive to thieves - or at least a less attractive
target than the other cars in the lot  ;-).  If there's obvious dirt inside
and out, empty soda bottles and garbage strewn about inside, etc. all the
better.  Just make sure it looks devoid of anything valuable.

I've generally not worried too much about where I've parked my car and have
often found myself in areas that violate all the rules you've already come
up with.  So far, I've never had a break-in.

BTW, another rule of thumb might be to pick a trailhead that is used so
little, with a parking area that isn't visible from a road, that thieves
never bother to go there in the first place.

Like with most other warnings, the vast majority of people park at
trailheads without any break-ins whatsoever.  If you let the presence of a
warning dictate your hikes, you may lose out on some of the best hikes -
especially since authorities now warn hikers about all trailheads whether or
not they have had problems.

It's kind of analagous to hitching...  I never hitched until I was prepping
for my AT hike having been warned that it was "dangerous" while growing up.
I have since found that the risk is well worth the rewards of meeting
wonderful people all along the trail.  I think the risk associated with
parking your car at less than perfect trailheads is worth the risk to be
able to hike in the areas you would like to hike.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

>From: "Jean-Paul Miller" <jeanpaul@comcast.net>
>Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:52:27 -0400
>
>...what are good rules of thumb for picking out a parking area
>
>I will try to start a list
>
>- high traffic area
>- traffic at night
>- pay spot(normally a fence and a guard then)
>- visible from major road

Premium!