[at-l] New Member in Westchester County New York

In a message dated 4/11/2004 1:36:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
traveling_mike@hotmail.com writes:

I decided that I'd like to try a thru-hike (next spring) and joining this
list was part of the prep for that.  Looks as though there are plenty of
resources to connect to so I am not overly worried about info gathering but do need to
spend the next year meaningfully determining if I'll be able to accomplish
walking that many miles a day, up slopes, with some minor orthopedic problems
that I have.  I'll definitely be consulting with sports medicine, getting into
shape, taking necessary precautions/ hiking at a doable pace, etc.

I look forward to being a part of the group.

Sincerely,
********

Well, if you are worried about slight orthopedic problems, put your mind at
ease,
you can do it. Start out slow and "Don't worry, be happy"... Attitude will
get you there,
keep a positive attitude, keep you head in your hike and not elsewhere. I had
shoulder
surgery 4 months before my Thruhike last year, foot surgery the year before
(I wore
orthotics on my hike), 2 knee surgeries years before, and I have 2 bulging
and 1
herniated disk, and I finished my hike.  I'm stubborn, I refused to give up.
I also had
realistic expectations of what a thruhike would be.

Read the Thruhiking papers, by Jim Owen. They will give you good insights.
I don't have the URL handy, but will find it and post it, unless someone else
does first.

Enjoy your planning!

Russ
hotdog AT 03