[at-l] MSR Miox and Hennessey Hammock

On 4/11/04 1:07 PM, "OlympicDreams04@cs.com" <OlympicDreams04@cs.com> wrote:

> Anyone currently using this snazzy new purifier?  I'm a die-hard ultralighter
> and am considering getting one.  Also, any of you out there use a Hennessey
> Hammock?  I'm eyeing one of those.

I use a Hennessey Hammock. A year or two ago, Phil Heffington was kind
enough to publish my comments about it on his web site:

http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington/gearcomparisons.htm

(Is Phil still around?)

After re-reading my comments, they may come across as too negative. Not so
-- I love the hammock. I have since bought the larger HH (the explorer?),
which better suits my size and weight. I used it on a very cold and wet
April night on Whitetop last April, and a week-long section in June in
Georgia (and my wife and daughter had their own Ultralight HH's.)

I think for group (family) hikes, we're going to take a large tarp from now
on. As easy as it is to pitch a hammock, it was actually quite difficult to
pitch three hammocks side-by-side (finding the appropriate trees was
surprisingly hard.)

But for solo hikes, the comfort of the hammock is a huge plus. I would
certainly recommend that you try one out and see what you think. REI carries
them:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&text
Query=hennessey&x=18&y=12

And you can always return it if you don't like it.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Big Cranky