[at-l] Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac

Someone seems to have a problem with North Georgia's
State vine, Poison Ivy.

Poison Oak is simply a variety of PI with varigated
leaves. Sumac is more common in urban and suburbs. It
has a oil that is highly allergenic for humans,
although some seem relatively immune. Back in med
school, we would use it as a control in assessing skin
allergic reactions to lotions, adhesives and such.

Once you have touched it, you will begin a reaction
fairly quickly. The more you scratch and injure
surrounding skin, the more you will react and be
miserable. Washing can help to remove extra oil and
reduce superficial infection risks. Cortisone creams
are reasonable, but I suspect that petroleum jelly,
bag balm, diaper cream, udder cream and the usual
stuff carried for abrasion and chafing would work just
as well.

Severe reactions may justify systemic/oral steroid
use. I'd keep it real brief as calcium loss and stress
fractures may be more of a problem.

If you use your trekking poles to push PI away,
remember that you want to wash them before touching
them directly. The same goes for work gloves and
clothing that touches poison ivy. It appears to
degrade after some time off of the plant. It is a big
reason to remove your glove before eating or touching
yourself anywhere.

But poison ivy can be your friend. It helps to keep
the kudzu down, and Virginia Creeper in it's place.

Bill...