[at-l] Overnight at Plumorchard Shelter

Gutsy and I took Katie, a 12-year-old neighbor girl, to Plumorchard Shelter
from Dick's Creek Gap Saturday and returned Sunday.  Had a wonderful time.

We were surprised to find One Leg and Flash Man there.  That's the amputee
and deaf pair.  One Leg gave everyone a demonstration of the prosthesis.  There
were about 12 people at the shelter.

Some of the trail names:  One Leg, Flash Hand, Williemakit, Ranger Jim, and I
Need a Hug.  There were many boy scouts out for the weekend, too, including a
group of about 10 who camped near the gap at the trail junction to the
shelter spur.  As we headed south to the car yesterday we met many more, including
Sidney, Mushroom, Grasshopped, and Almonds.

Of course some of these trail names are new and subject to change.  Some will
be replaced by a better fit, just like clothing being tried on for size.

Also at the shelter were a couple from Tryon, NC, out for a two or three day
hike, as well as a 2003 thru hiker from GA (don't remember the trail name) out
to see the class of 2004.

It was a completely new experience for Katie, the girl we took along.  This
was her first backpacking trip, but she took to it very well.  She's
"hyperactive" (whatever that means) and usually takes medication.  The 4.3 mile hike
slowed her down but she was back in form after supper.  She talks non-stop.  We
had a small campfire and Katie wanted to stay up all night tending the fire.
Everyone else was in bed.  Gutsy told her to take her book and flashlight to
bed, and she finally complied and stayed quietly reading until the flashlight
died.  We had a nice spot in the highest loft.  Gutsy had a wonderful time, too,
but failed to meet her stated goal of reading a chapter in the textbook for
her grad course.

There were at least three world-class snorers in the shelter.  It was windy
during the night but the temperature stayed around 40.  It was a great
overnighter.

Gutsy's Dan

P.S.  How can I find out about posting pictures in the photo gallery?  Not
necessarily for this trip, but for sometime.