[at-l] Winter gets another chance in the South

Kinnickinic writes:

<< You can't be meaning inches of precip for the season.  What is the
season?
Does it encompass five years?  No place but Seattle gets that much rain.
Are
you really saying that Beech Mountain and the Roan area get almost as much?
That's a perception from Estes Park, Colorado, where our snow is currently
82%
of itself, and wildfires are already in progress. >>

sorry, I meant snowfall for the season (which begins with first snowfall in
the autumn). Officially, a snow season runs from July 1 to June 30th.

As far as total precip, including ran and melted ice/snow, Beech Mtn
averages around 60 inches a year, and Roan High Knob around 70 inches a
year. Farther south, the town of Highlands, NC averages 83 inches a year,
Albert Mtn about 100 inches, and the high peaks over 6,000 feet in the
vicinity of Cold Mtn (near Brevard, NC) as much as 120 inches a year.
Seattle in cmparison, averages about 37-39 inches a year, which is less than
most of the east coast and Appalachians. Seattle is in somewhat of a
rainshadow - the Olympic Mtns block much of the moisture, but if you head
slightly south to Olympia, rainfall increases. Across the water in Sequim,
which is in the direct rain shadow, annual rainfall is as low as 18 inches,
but quickly increases to 100-200 inches when you go to the west facing side
of the Mtns along the coast.

wc