[at-l] Home Place

Ah...the homeplace. Perhaps the best AYCE place on the
AT.

My "hiker hunger" was much higher on the AT than on
any other hike before or since. The "vittles" was much
appreciated by this hiker.

Here is my jouranl entry from almost six years ago:
**********
Mile Post 686.0 ~ Catawba, Va
April 23 ~ Hiking today reminded me of the White
Mountains. Near an ominous sounding place called "The
Dragon's Tooth" the hike is off the ridge on a
steep, rocky scramble. Had to use my hands at times to
get down the sides of the mountain. A passing shower
and a brief hail storm added to the fun. I
enjoy these rock climbs, though. Mt hiking style is
slow and steady, the only way to do climbs like this.
Viking and I then arrived at VA311 to
receive a hitch to "The Home Place" restaurant that
offers those magic words thru-hikers love "All You Can
Eat". And eat I did. stomping around in my
hiking boots and wearing smelly hiker clothes made me
fell a little out of  place at this fairly fancy
place, but those thoughts quickly vanished as I
plunged into the chicken, mashed potatoes and shredded
BBQ pork. Yummy! This great day ended late with a nice
soak in the jacuzzi at the local B&B. As I
look at my watch, it is past midnight. Latest I have
been up to on this  whole trip! Funny how quickly I
have gotten used to going to bed at 8:30 PM!
Early to bed and early to rise make a thru hiker
healthy ( if you don't  count the blisters or rashes
or creaky joints most of us get), wealthy
(going to bed at dark saves money on batteries for
flashlights), and wise (maybe, but this thru-hiker
still likes mac n' cheese after all most two
months on the trail, not too wise).-Paul
*****

TJ had interesting times trying to transcribe my
journal with the chicken scractch called my
handwriting! :D

=====
--Thoreau