[at-l] triple crown hike in VA - ramblings re the boy scout shelter, the AT class of 2001, etc.

"We did the Triple Crown last year in April. We decided not to do the
North Country trail because of the rumored water shortage. McAfee's
Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon's Tooth were all fantastic. Loved the
hike. Avoid the Boy Scout Shelter (is it still there?).

We walked up to the hostel and although it was obviously occupied,
couldn't find anyone at home. Proprietor at the Catawba Store was
unfriendly and didn't seem to like hikers (was it my smell?)

After the hike, chow down at the Homeplace. Chase recommended it and it
was fantastic.

We brought two cars, so were able to do a linear hike. That pizza at
Pizza Hut tasted pretty good after the hike. I would highly recommend
the hike.

Pete Fornof
Broknspoke"

---------------------------

Pete's post brought back great memories of The Homeplace - my all-time
favorite hiker chow spot . . . I've now managed to eat there four times
in the past couple of years! :)

Pete's mention of the Boy Scout Shelter triggered a real short "trip
post."  Several weeks back we had our third annual 2001 AT hikers
Reunion; we found a neat place in - of all places -
West-by-God-Virginia!  It is called the Cranberry Mountain Lodge, and it
is a really interesting, hand-built home that it totally self-sufficient
with solar and hydro power, and a wood fired furnace system.  It will
sleep about 18 in bunks, and lots more on the floors.  Keep it in mind
if you ever need a kewl place in the middle of nowhere for a large group
of crazy hikers!  Here is the website link in case you are curious:

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

We had about 20 hikers make the trip, and it was awesome to see so many
great friends and re-live so many good times.  One of the things that
will always make the AT such a magical "thing" for me is the people -
sometimes people are a pain in the butt, but the people I met while
hiking northward on the AT in 2001 have become some of the greatest
friends and soulmates you could ever ask for . . .

Anyhow, I digress (as usual!)  Back to the Boy Scout Shelter stuff . . .

After our hiker reunion was over, The King (Brian Neal) and I decided to
drive over to Catawba and hike a bit, to be followed by an AYCE dinner
at The Homeplace.  We ended up late arriving, and only had time for a
very short walk, so we decided to hike up to McAfee's Knob and back down
from VA 311.  When we passed the old Boy Scout Shelter, we did a
double-take . . . it is gone forever, replaced by a great looking new
shelter, just dedicated one day before we passed by!  I think the new
name is the John's Spring Shelter - dedicated by the family of an AT
hiker named John (last name escapes me right now).  Anyhow, they did a
great job on it.

As Brian and I later chowed down at the Homeplace, we came up with the
idea of having the class of 2001 hikers pool their resources and try to
rebuild and/or relocate one of the older shelters on the Trail.  Once I
am through with my NC AT special license tag project (hopefully that
will happen in the next 30 days or so!) I plan to tackle this new idea
full force.  If any of you good people have some ideas on possible old
shelter candidates for replacement/relocation, please feel free to drop
me a line!  And, of course, other hiker year classes could do the same.
  I don't know if it has something to do with 9-11, or what, but I think
the class of 2001 has a pretty large group that have remained close and
stayed in touch in a major way . . . we already have scheduled our
fourth reunion and are still going strong.  These are, indeed, memories
and friendships for a lifetime.

Thru-Thinker