[at-l] Fw: RATC: Info for Former Thruhiker

More

Chainsaw

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Carter" <ccarter@rbnet.com>
To: "Dave Hicks" <daveh@psknet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: RATC: Info for Former Thruhiker

Dave,  i'm really not up-to-date.   I cannot imagine that anyone is keeping
up the North Mt. Trail since we got moved back onto Tinker.  The only time I
hiked it was during the interin period years ago.   I have never heard of
any problem with leaving cars at the trail heads; however, if the timing is
good, I could transport persons from Daleville
(Homer W. also).  We have plenty of parking area here at 559 Tinker Mill
Road, just down the mountain from Hay Rock.  I suppose Homer will have some
up-to-date answers.
Clyde

Dave Hicks wrote:

> PA (of MA & PA 99 posted the following to another list I am on:
>

> We are driving down to Virginia to hike for a 10 days or so, starting
Easter weekend. We will be with friends who have only a little backpacking
experience and who don't want to do big days or be out too long.

> Our plan is to do a 3 or 4 day trip and then do day hikes and/or
overnights.  We originally thought the longer trip could start at Route 624
in the Catawba area and end up at US 220 near Troutville. We chose this area
because Of Mac Afee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs and because we seem to recall
that it wasn't too strenuous.

> We now see by the map that it would be possible to do a loop  back to our
starting spot by taking the Andy Lane Trail and North Mountain Trail.

>  Does anyone have any information about the area?  What is condition of
the North Mountain Trail and what about the campsite at its mid point that
is mentioned in the AT guide book?  How safe are the trail heads for leaving
vehicles? Also, does anyone have information about the Hostel that is on
Route 624. It wasn't there during our 1999 thru hike.