[at-l] Questions about Hiking in Catawba area

MA & PA,
	311 to 220 and also the North mountain trail will be a challenge to
an inexperienced hiker. North mountain although it is a ridge it
constantly rolls up and down adding a surprising amount of vertical
effort. Of course this is relative to how much ground you cover in a
day. It sounds like you have plenty of time and could take it easy and
enjoy this section with its wonderful views. The 311 parking lot has
been vandalized many times in the past. I wonder if it is still as bad
now. The Roanoke County police of this jurisdiction. The best parking
is at Daleville / 220. there is a nice big parking lot with a 5 minuet
AT connector trail running into it. The owner of the Four Pines Hostel
might shuttle you so you could walk towards your car.  There is
another parking area at the Andy Layne trail and there is the Dragons
Tooth parking lot. One possibility is to leave your car at the Andy
Layne trail so you can resupply as you pass through that parking lot
toward North Mountain. These two are more remote than the 311 parking
so I find it surprising that the vandals, to my knowledge only hit the
311 parking lot. Maybe these kids have grown up or are in jail now
lol. I think Spring Gobbler season will be in so wear orange and have fun.

chase AT99