[at-l] Cell tower in Yellowstone?

J Bryan wrote:

>Sat phones have been a miserable failure, check out iridium.

Bryan -
Iridium is the worst of all possible examples.  Both the satellite and
system design were crap, the operations philosophy was worse and neither the
sales nor the expected performance ever materialized.  At one time they
wanted me to go work on the production end - and later on the ops end. I
didn't think that was a good idea - for me.  I was right. But later I spent
long nights talking to the people who did go.  They made a lot of overtime
and per diem money doing nothing - and left in disgust at the sheer
incompetence of the Iridium management.   Iridium only survived because da
gubmint intervened.  Which, to my mind, is exactly what Motorola had in mind
from the beginning.  But maybe that's just one of my paranoid delusions.  I
didn't even bother to follow it much after 1999.

Sat phones are a great idea - and eminently doable - and would eliminate
cellphone towers.  IF - and only IF - the system was designed by someone who
knew what they were doing.  Did you see Dilbert today?  It was directly
applicable.

Have a good weekend,
Jim

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms ? all in one place at MSN Money!
http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp