[at-l] Off AT Topic -- "i" blazes on some other trails

In a message dated 3/19/04 1:37:07 PM, Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

> What I didn't like in NY was the sections of trail that shared the same
> path
> where the blazes were on different trees.? One second you knew you were on
> the
> AT and another thought you were on the Long Path.? There was another,
> perhaps
> the Ramapo-Dunberberg Trail.

               ***    The head ranger in the park was of the attitude that
wherever we could separate the AT was desirable to them. As in other places, the
AT was placed in there on existing trails because they were already installed
in the best places. The main overlapping path is the "R-D" trail
(Ramapo-Dunderberg).

           The truth is the volunteer effort go out there and build new paths
in the park isn't there. Especially when the reason is just to separate
otherwise functioning trails. If the AT were to be separated in Harriman it would
most likely involve asking the R-D trail to take another route. That could
possibly open up a can of in-club difficulties. I did have a plan to separate the
two trails, but it would have involved a major effort that would have gone
beyond typical club capabilities. (It's still doable)...

          As far as having the R-D blaze next to the AT one, I started a
policy of having both blazes always on the same tree. But the truth is, if left to
the usual ways, the job is almost always left up to the individual maintainer
whom the club is just glad to have. They must be HYOH-ing...