[at-l] trip report, take II

First of all, thanks to those to reponsed to my trip report about my big slog through the swamp last weekend. One of the other hikers (a geologist who prefers canoeing) filed this trip report locally. I'm sharing it with you. It is AT related because I know many of us have speculated about the intentions--and rationality--of those who have laid our trails.

Give Me Chocolate

FTA Bradwell Bay hike on Saturday, March 13: Eight miles of hiking trail winds its way circuitously through Bradwell Bay located southwest of the little town of Crawfordville.  Approximately six of those miles are under water, and that makes for a very interesting hiking experience. Rated by Backpacker Magazine as one of the ten most difficult backpacking trails, it is easily the most challenging of the Florida Trail system. The dark, tea-colored
waters quickly churned into a tannic emulsion of mud and muck and suspended sediment under the onslaught of
eleven pair of boots slogging their way onward through generally knee-deep water. Occasional yelps were
common-place as we "discovered" holes where a person could sink into the chilly water waist deep or deeper.
It made us content to be carrying lightweight day packs rather than the burden of a full backpack. There was a great deal of speculation concerning what manner of perverted trail leader would choose to blaze a trail through the middle of a swamp anyway when there was perfectly good dry land a short distance away. Wait till we get our hands on that guy, buddy! If you've never hiked the Bradwell Bay trail, I highly recommend it.  Thanks to Kent Wimmer for offering the trip each year.  I'm already looking forward to joining him again next year.