[at-l] Trip Report - Weekend hike with children

Hi Shatto:

I envy you the every weekend hikes.  I started late last summer and
I've managed 15 hikes, 13 of them with the children.  All but 3 of my
hikes have been day hikes, so the camping thing is new.  We did one day
hike in the snow and one in the rain.  They liked both of those hikes,
so they're learning that it doesn't necessarily need to be sunny to hike
and have fun.

I'm glad to have had several responses from other people with kids that
hike and camp.  So far we've not had the pleasure of meeting up with
other children for them to play with during the hikes, so I'm with you,
I'd like to see more children hiking.

My son got a bit exhuberant when he woke up and yelled something at his
sister just because he was excited . . . which broke the morning silence
for everyone else sleeping near the shelter.  I was pretty sorry he did
that.  I've had several long talks with him about it since.  I hope
he'll learn some campground manners.  I'm trying . . .

Dwight

>>> <ATtrailhiker@wmconnect.com> 3/15/04 3:50:22 PM >>>
>>We hike and camp about every weekend from March until usually the end
of October.

BTW, the kids LOVE to camp and hike, and even my little one, will play
camp,
during the week at home.

It would be neat to see more little ones out on the trail, getting an
early
start! And would love to hear more "family" trip reports.

Shatto Express