[at-l] Cicadas

They're not locusts.  They're not dangerous, but I was around (in VA)
for the last outbreak of this brood (Brood X - roman numeral 10) which
is by far the largest one (different broods are on different year
schedules - so you can get some of these every year). This one has
infestation amounts of up to 100,000 per acre!  My kids were young
(they're 23 and 20 now) and were in a Montessori preschool 17 years ago
that was in a high infestation area (our apartment area a mile away was
pretty bad, but not as bad as the school grounds).  I remember the
difficulties that made because there wasn't a square inch of ground
around the school that didn't have a cicada on it.  Every step went
"crunch" and it was simply very gross.  And as they died it smelled
pretty funky too.  Not all areas get that strong of an outbreak, but in
the areas that do, you'll have to pitch tents on them, deal with them
getting into your cook pot, much less the crunching underfoot and flying
into your hair.

A good overview of these things is at
http://www.mda.state.md.us/press/cicada.htm

When the whole ground is crawling, it freaks me out!  And when you're in
such an outbreak area, it can be hard to hear the person next to you
talking, they are so loud.  But my understanding is that they only feed
while underground for those 17 years, not as adults.  I wonder what
caused the leaf stripping Old Ridgerunner experienced??

And since my April hiking partner has messed up her knee and needs
surgery, I'll be on my own and don't need to head so far south anyway
(she still lives in VA).  I'm thinking I might start at the Mass. border
and head south, since this summer doing the LT I'll be heading north
from that point.  And the trail shouldn't be too crowded that far north
in late April.

suzie