[at-l] maps?

In a message dated 3/13/2004 4:35:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:
>"...Am a little uncertain on which maps are best to get. "

The only real accurate and detailed maps of the trail are those produced by
the
maintaining clubs and distributed by the Appalachian Trail Conference. But the
trail is well marked. Maps aren't absolutely essential. But I find they make a
thru hike infinitely more enjoyable, and occasionally safer.

Also useful are state highway maps, because they show you where the
intersection roads lead to, and most, if combined with a good compass, are
even
better than the trail maps for identifying distant landmarks.

Weary

I never really used the map portions of the ATC maps (in an emergency, they
would have been useful to get out of the woods), but I used the profiles on the
maps extensively (I carried them all the way up the trail). They give you an
idea of the terrain, to better plan your daily miles. They were accurate 95%
of the time, but that 5% will sneak up and bite you if you don't watch out.
It's a personal choice again.

hotdog AT 03