[at-l] Re: Now Weary & the AMC

AMC isn't mentioned, but if anyone wants to know what is really happening in the
Maine woods open:

 http://www.portlandphoenix.com/features/top/ts_multi/documents/03665561.asp

 The piece is written by a friend of mine, Lance Tapley, one of the best
 reporters I have known. Lance organized the petition drive that resulted in
 creation of the AT's Bigelow Preserve.

 During one of his many absences from the newspaper business, (He was too honest
 and frank to be popular in newsrooms.) he stopped by my desk one day 30 years
 ago and announced he had a new girl friend he wanted to take camping.

 I suggested he climb Bigelow. He returned a few days later with plans for
 "saving" the mountain, critical parts of which had been purchased by developers
 seeking to create an "Aspen of the East."

 Much to my surprise he managed to pull it off.

 BTW, TJ. If you get that far, you may find some support for your contentions
 about the "lumber" industry's influence on Maine politics.

 Weary