[at-l] Re: Modern Devices, etc, Now AMC

>This argument is silly. AMC has bought the land. Disapproval of their plans
>on this forum accomplishes nothing especially when the disapproval is based
>on speculation about plans that AMC says are incomplete. I've said this
>before and I'll say it again: Unless you know of another buyer who would
>have used the property exactly as you want, we should be happy that it was
>not sold to developers. If you want to influence AMC's planning, talk to
>AMC. Sniping at them from a distance is not likely to get the result you
>want.

Jim B--

1.  The AMC has protected the land --  this is a good thing.
2.  The AMC has announced that the State of Maine wil be giving the club
$1,000,000 from thier $50,000,000 land Protection fund, subject to
negotiations which are going on now
3.  The State of Maine and the AMC are in final negotiations over the
restrictions and controls which will be attached to the contribution
4.  If the AMC is given the $1,000,000 those funds will not be available for
other conservation efforts
5.   Maine's LMF has an interest in protecting hunting and snowmobile access
for its citizens-- thats a good for those groups and I respect that the Sate
has thier interests in mind
6.  Some AMC members believe that Baxter's management approach was ideal,
and that the AMC should consider its approach carefully.  And perhaps
develop it over many years.  Other AMC members believe that commercial
hunting on thier property has no place.  Still others believe that  bear
baiting has no place on thier property.  Some think that it would be wise to
retain control over their property in the decades to come simply because
things change.  All deserve to be heard.  All have a responsibility to make
themselves heard (and I am not talking about thorugh this forum).
7.  Once the AMC has finalized their negotiations with the State of Maine
and been paid $1,000,000 to give up some control  over their (our property)
their will be no opportunity to go back.
8.  Those final decisions are being made even as we speak.

And 9:

The AMC is not "them", rather it is "us".   If one want's to affect our
decisions moving forward, it is important to communicate one's feelings to
other members.  It is probably most affective to communicate them to the
professionals we hire to do our work, and then to the hard-working board
members we elect to run the club on our behalf.   Each member can follow his
own conscience on this.  For myself, I have communicated that I do not want
MY club to enter into any agreement which forever limits our ability to
prohibit bear baiting and commercial hunting on our land, if we so choose to
go that way 10, 20 or 50 years in the future.  Even if it means that the
State of Maine ends up spending that $1,000,000 to buy conservation
easements on the coast, or other parcels along the AT.

Rick B

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx