[at-l] re: Thermarests

Some years ago, I had one of the old 3/4 length Thermarest.

It developed a veeeery slooow leak, which I could never find.  I tried
submerging it (part at a time) in water, brushing soapy water over the dang
thing, etc.  No bubbles.  I could leave it inflated for weeks on end under
the bed at home w/o any limpness showing up.

However, on the trail by morning it would have lost just enough air that my
hips and shoulders were hard against ground, or worst yet the shelter floor.
It still felt full everywhere else, as long as I lay there, but once I got
off it was noticeably limp.

I went back to foam.

I understand that the newer material is tougher.  Maybe I should try
another.

After all, you can't hike if you don't sleep well, right??

Hum, 1 lb, 8 oz. vs. 7.5 oz for my six section Z??

Oh well YMMV, HYOH, etc.

Chainsaw