[at-l] Re: Modern Devices, etc, Now AMC

>Yes. AMC is working with local snowmobile clubs to restrict, but not to
>prohibit
>the machines on AMC lands.

My understanding is that the AMC is also working with the State of Maine on
this.  If I am not mistaken, the club with grant the state some measure of
control over their property in exchange for money.  Big money.

To put it another way, the decision that the AMC makes now will insure that
the land which We (yes, We)  bought will be "Forever Snowmobile and Forever
Hunting".  I hope I am wrong, but Big Money often means Big Control.

What I can't figure out is why, given its limmitted resources, the State of
Maine would take upwards of 1 Million dollars and use it to protect land
which has already been protected by the AMC.  Wouldn't it be better for the
citizens pof Maine to spend the money on areas that are threatened by
development?  Oh wait, the sate will ask for something in return.

If the AMC wants to be a good neighbor, and has rejected following the
example of Perciville Baxter (who according to some cared deeply for the
citizens of Maine despite the protections he say put in place on the land he
bought) thats still OK by me.

My concern is that in an effort to be a good neighbor, the club will
subjugate its values in PERPETUITY to those of the commercial hunters, the
non traditional hunters (ie, those hunting over bait), and the snowmobile
lobby-- as represented by the State of Maine waving a million dollar check.

I'd prefer another approach.  I'd prefer that the AMC do what it thinks best
for the land and the surrounding community.  Including the snowmobilers.
That it listen, but retain fill control over its land.  Then, I would prefer
that the AMC encourage the State of Maine to take thier million dollars on
land that is under threat from development.

Rick B

These aren't controlled lands. There is no practical