[at-l] Re: Modern Devices, etc.

In a message dated 3/10/04 3:36:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, ellen@clinic.net
writes:

> >"...The Baxter ban has nothing to do with philosophical anti-cell
> feelings,"
> >thinks TJ.

Thinks TJ: There goes Weary again...

> The incident TJ mentions may have triggered the rule, but he is wrong when
> he
> says the ban has nothing to do with philosophical anti-cell feelings. The
> rule
> is lumped with other electronic gear. "Audio devices such as radios,
> televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated
> within
> the Park."
>
> This suggests to me a desire for wildness preservation is part of the
> thinking
> of park managers.

No matter what the voices suggest to you, the ban had nothing to do with
philosophical anti-cell feelings. It had to do with that particular incident. The
'no audio devices' rule is about the noise they produce, not about the ability
to communicate with civilization - which is the core of the philosophical
anti-cell arguement. You will note there is no rule banning the Ranger's radios.

> TJ repeats a common fallacy that because the park doesn't  "remove all the
> cabins and refrain from using two way radios, generators, passenger cars,
> snowmobiles, chainsaws, etc." it has no concern for preserving wildness.

Who said "because the park doesn't" and "it has no concern for preserving
wildness"? I didn't. Weary, do you actually understand the posts you attempt
"respond" to? Perhaps you should try responding to the actual words typed once in
a while, and not to the words you've added to them.
Wildness just wasn't the issue re cell phones in Baxter Park.
Baxter Park defines wildness in a manner that works for them. Rather like the
AMC defining "preservation" as allowing snowmobiles, bear-baiting, commercial
big game hunts, liquidation logging, and the construction of resort-style
accommodations on land it is "preserving." Rather like the AMC announcing a "ten
thousand acre no-cut preserve" on the land it just bought - but not telling
you the land has already been stripped of every harvestable tree. They all
define terms in a manner that works for them.
Baxter Park certainly has expressed more concern for wilderness than the AMC
Resort Corp or Gov. Baldacci and the other lumber puppets in Augusta. Perhaps
that's what confused you about the cell phone ban, Weary.
TJ