[at-l] shoes..

In a message dated 3/9/2004 11:53:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ladykitty@sbcglobal.net writes:
Since I've started some really wonderful cow paddies, as OB put it
*grins* I thought I would ask another question.

I have some ankle problems.. more in being a bit weak than anything
else. so would hiking boots or trail runners be better and why?  I've
got a pair of Timberlane's that I'm comfortable with, but they are not
big enough to support the two sock method of avoiding blisters, so I'm
going to need buy something new.

April
************
I have weak ankles, and finished my thruhike, turning my ankles all the way.
I wore Mid weight, mid height boots (Lowa Tempest Mids) for 1900 + miles,
and New Balance Trail Runners for 200 miles. I turned my ankles all the time
in the boots, and some in the NB trail runners. What saved me was my poles,
catching myself every time I turned my ankle.

Boots - turned ankles 500-600 times. Yes, really
NB - turned ankles maybe 20 times (the soft outsole seemed to keep me from
turning my ankle as much as the harder boot sole, but I hit my ankles on
everything
& wore creases in my ankles where the shoe tops were).
It's different for everyone.

I feel that higher boots are more for ankle protection (from rocks & such),
than
to prevent ankle turning. But that's only my experience.

hotdog
AT 03