[at-l] shoes..

> I have some ankle problems.. more in being a bit weak than anything
> else. so would hiking boots or trail runners be better and why?  I've
> got a pair of Timberlane's that I'm comfortable with, but they are not
> big enough to support the two sock method of avoiding blisters, so I'm
> going to need buy something new.

A good pair of high-top, all-leather, mid-or-heavy weight boots has long
been the mark of the 'serious hiker.' Some hiking clubs still require such
boots for their outings. Most hikers start out wearing them, and some
continue to do so.

However, many long distance hikers lighten their shoes as they lighten their
loads and strengthen their legs and ankles. This is a *very personal*
decision, and not one in which you can depend on another's opinion.

FWIW, I have a pair of large, heavy weight hiking boots in my closet, and my
lovely wife has two. They have inhabited the closet for many years without
seeing the light of day. We hike in trail runners.

But, YMMV.

Ken