[at-l] Re: Modern Devices, etc.

At 09:39 PM 3/9/2004 -0500, Snodrog5@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/9/04 9:22:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>lorac4491@linkamerica.net writes:
>
> > There seem to be two sides.  One thinks 'take' the other thinks 'don't
> > take' -- what about the middle?  Well, it's not a 'side' if it's the
> middle, but
> > besides all that. . .  (Is besides a side?)
> >

>The funny thing (to me) is that I've *never* heard a single "that person used
>a cell phone and ruined my day on the trail" incident.
>Some of the young'uns and the family centric folks feel the need to carry
>one. If that gets them on the Trail, that's fine by me.
>TJ

The only time I was ever annoyed by a cell phone user was a beautiful
autumn day on Cascade Mt. One of my hiking buddies and I got to the summit
just in time to hear this turkey say into his phone (all together now)
"You'll never guess where I'm calling from". It didn't ruin my day though.
If I let something that trivial ruin my day, *I* have a problem. There was
another turkey up there though that annoyed me more. This guy next to me
was pointing at Giant Mt and telling his buddy "That's Rocky Peak where we
were yesterday". "Excuse me" says I "That is Giant. You can't see Rocky
Peak from here. It's on the other side of Giant and it's shorter". The guy
looks right at me, glances at my 46r shirt and tells me I'm wrong. It *is*
Rocky Peak. That didn't "ruin my day" either. Rick and I still recall that
day fondly but I do still remember the turkeys as well as the view and
sometimes even chuckle over them. Usually I just shake my head.