[at-l] True Tales from the Wild - Moose Story

Well, I know how we all love a good animal tale:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=3897&messageid=1078533020

BTW, although this story involves a cell phone, PLEASE don't crap up
the airwaves with CP controversy.
Although personally I don't carry one and have no plans to do so,
HYOH. I don't care if someone else carries one as long as I don't have
to listen to it.  I don't want to have to listen to a CP controversy
for the 20th time either.

   From Salt Lake Tribune:

    Aggressive Moose Stomps Snowshoer
    By Derek P. Jensen

    A trio of retired medical buddies were not about to let a swath of
big game droppings dissuade them during their first snowshoeing trip
to Toll Canyon near Parleys Summit.
    Wednesday morning was gorgeous, and the men shed layers of
outerwear as they trudged 2 1/2 miles up the trail. But the Salt Lake
Valley men suddenly ended their idyll when they came face to face with
a young 800-pound bull moose.
    "It stopped and stared us down for what seemed like hours, but it
was probably five or six minutes," said
    Bob Canestrini, 73, whose daughter lives in Summit Park and had
shown them the trailhead.
    Experienced hikers, the men had encountered wildlife before. They
slowly retreated into some brush for cover. Then, without provocation,
the moose "just leaped through the trees and landed on Nick and
started stomping him," Canestrini said.
    Nick Baldwin, 65, screamed in pain, while Canestrini and Bob
Mitchell, 72, threw branches and yelled at the angry animal. They
briefly thought about swinging their ski poles, but reconsidered.
    The bull paused, momentarily, then got a few more licks in before
darting off.
    "My hiking buddy and I thought for sure [Baldwin] was dead,"
Canestrini said. "He wasn't moving."
    But the injured Baldwin was conscious, and Canestrini and Mitchell
scurried to lift him into a nearby tree, which they also climbed while
the moose lurked nearby. The men, who were treed about 40 minutes,
called 911 about 11:40 a.m. from a cell phone.
    As a Division of Wildlife Resources officer made his way up the
trail, the moose lunged toward him, prompting a quick strike from a
tranquilizer gun.
    "It was standing in the pathway between the rescuers and the
victims, and it was quite aggressive," said Summit County sheriff's
Capt. Joe Offret.
    "I've been around wildlife a lot," said Canestrini, who was born
and raised in Wyoming and has hiked with his retired Holy Cross
Hospital colleagues for 25 years. "But I've never seen a moose act
that way."
    "This is unusual," said Jim Karpowitz, Utah's DWR big game
coordinator. While officers have removed more
    than 50 moose from urban areas over the heavy winter, he said,
Wednesday's attack was more
    aggressive than normal.
    "We always tell people to stay clear of them," Karpowitz added.
"They're wild animals."
    While the animal was unconscious, Summit County Sheriff's
deputies, Park City firefighters and DWR
    officers loaded Baldwin into a basket stretcher and he was hoisted
by helicopter out of the heavy
    timber.
    He was taken by ambulance to St. Mark's Hospital while the friends
and rescuers hiked out of the canyon
    in late afternoon.
    Baldwin is in stable condition after having surgery to repair
ligament damage in his left leg. He also
    suffered mild trauma to the head and doctors are checking for
internal bleeding, Canestrini said.
    After receiving an antidote shot, Offret said, the moose revived
and left the trail before sundown.
    Canestrini said the three are reconsidering a planned hiking trip
to Dark Canyon, west of Blanding, after
    Wednesday's "harrowing" experience.
    "I think that's going to be out," he said.

    Safety in moose country

    * Never get between a cow and a calf.
    * Don't walk toward a moose if you can avoid it; try to remain at
least 50 feet away.
    * Never throw anything at a moose.
    * Keep dogs under control or leave them at home. Bad scenario: Dog
chases moose, moose chases dog,
    dog returns to owner, moose in tow.
    * Try to get behind a tree if a moose charges. You can run around
a tree faster than it can.
    * If attacked, hit the ground, cover your head and stay still.
    * If you see someone about to be charged, making a loud noise
might distract the animal long enough
    for the victim to take evasive action.
    * Moose kick with front feet as well as hind feet.
--
    	AT Journal:
	http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/