[at-l] Food food food

> anklebear wrote:
> >>sugar free koolaid or crystal light<
> >
> >Amy, why would you want sugar-free foods on a hike?  Just asking.
> >anklebear
>
> We've used them for the last 12 years - started out using
> "real" Koolaid
> (with sugar) on the AT, and discovered just how  heavy it is.
>  Found the
> "sugar-free" variety in one of the supermarkets along the way
> and I've been
> using it ever since.  When it's not available, Crystal light
> will do.  We've
> used one or both of them for all three thruhikes.
>
> So why use something like that at all?  First, because it
> tastes good and
> makes it easier to drink massive amounts of fluid.  And then, just as
> importantly, because your body absorbs water better if it has
> "something" in
> it.  "Pure" water is NOT absorbed as fast as Koolaid,
> Gatorade - or even
> lightly salted water.  Ask Toey about what he uses when he's
> running.  I'll
> bet it ain't "pure" water.
>
> Now - just to head off the inevitable coming arguments -
> that's not opinion.
>   More than fifteen years ago, it was the result of medical
> studies on
> foundry and steel mill workers.  The same studies quantified the
> acclimatization of the body to prolonged exposure to heat and heavy
> "exercise" - as would be experienced by a new foundry worker
> - or a hiker
> starting a thruhike.  Given continued exposure, the fluid
> requirements to
> maintain proper hydration decline as the body acclimatizes
> and both the
> volume and salt content of the sweat decrease greatly.
> Thruhikers usually
> don't think much about that, but generally speaking, a
> mountain in Mass
> produces a lot less sweat than that same elevation gain did
> in Georgia.
>
> Enuff rambling - we did get well beyond the answer to your
> question, didn't
> we ---
>
> Walk softly,
> Jim
The problem with Jim's answer is that it doesn't really answer the question
completely. Drinking no-sugar drinks serves one purpose, hydration. A second
purpose is getting enough calories during the day to keep going. So what you
really have is a trade off of carrying more efficient calories in the form
of oil or less efficient in the form of sugars. There is also a difference
in how fast the calories are available - sugars fast, oils slow. I suspect
for some people the sugared drinks are a better solution.

---