[at-l] Re: Modern Devices, etc.

In a message dated 3/8/04 20:03:28 Eastern Standard Time, max_patch@lycos.com
writes:

> The cell phone issue is the wrong thing to focus on in my not so humble
> opinion.

Granted, the care of the injured is the first concern but is there no
appreciation of a way to summon help?  The example from real life indicated that the
injured hiker lost blood.  Fortunately not so much that he was without hope.
But what if there were a hiker who did lose a lot of blood (to the danger
point, or who was mauled by a wild boar (or you name it -- crazed human?) and
required immediate assistance?  Would it not be good to have a way to summon
assistance without resorting to fire signals?

I can understand if someone is crazed by the incessant use of cell phones as
we see on the commuter trains but for safety's sake they are useful
instruments and in my opinion (OK I won't say humble) they should be a part of every
first aid kit.

After the call is made then the rescuers (hikers who are with the injured)
can assist to a pick-up point.

Skylander