[at-l] Backcountry fears

What I've noticed about an impending long trip is that
friends, relatives, etc. will project their fears of
the backcountry onto you.

THEY are afraid of serial killers..so shouldn't you be
worried?

THEY are afraid of breaking their leg...shouldb't you
carry a cell phone?

etc..etc.

It is not just women who get that type of questioning.

A little story from my own experience.

No one in my family is into the outdoors, except for
me. When I started backpacking 8 years ago it was with
a good friend. That was OK. Afterall, a couple buddies
off to go camping for a weekend? Well, that makes
sense!

Then I started going solo trips on weekends. My family
was quite concerned. Going alone...in the mountains?
Isn't that dangerous? Won't you starve? Won't you be
cold?  There fears were projected on me.

When I did my first long hike (the LT in '97), I still
remember an incident a few days before I left. My Dad
was very concerned about my safety. He stongly advised
me to carry a large knife on a belt. In my mind, can
still see the knife. Large lockblade in a leather
holster. Large enough where anyone could easily see
that I am indeed carrying a large knife. Dad thought
carrying this large knife would scare people away.

What people? I still don't know to this day.

After two thru-hikes, two smaller LT hikes and several
excurisions into the backcountry of various states, I
have yet to feel threathened in the wilderness.
My family understands now that the backcountry is
safe...but it took a while.

The unknown car inspire fear in people. Human nature I
suppose....

=====
--Thoreau