[at-l] okay, someone...

Hope this thread doesn't turn too hot, as it has in the past.  However, in
that you asked here's my take.  As always YMMV.

For old-timers hit delete now, as this is a repeat ;-)}

I use a pair of the non-sprung Lekis.  They great for balance and relieve
burden on my knees, especially on the downhills. I also use them to set-up
my tent -- i.e., I don't carry tent poles, also.

IMHO -- there appears to be two types of two pole users:

1) Those, often old Farts like me, who use them primarily for balance and
relieving the burden on the knees.  These folk tend to like the un-sprung
type, as they don't have that initial softness, or give, taking up the load,
when you are trying to stop a trip/fall.  These folk really like them going
down-hill.

2) Those, often younger folk, w/ great balance who use them as aids to
locomotion.  These folk like the pole with the springs, to push off with.
These folk really like them going up-hill.

Two pole users, tend to use both all the time, using a hydration system to
free their hand for the poles.  Most stop to use their hands for something
other that the poles, unless on very level, good treadway.

OTOH, one pole users like to keep one hand free while moving, talk about
pole uses such as checking the depth of water, monopods for cameras, etc.  A
subset of one-polers push for folk to use homemade.

I started hiking w/o any, went to one homemade wooden, then to two sprung,
and ended up with two un-sprung.  Many years ago, (when my speed and balance
was far better) I hiked PA w/o any and never fell.  The last time I hiked PA
I used them and I fell twice.  However, I doubt I would have made it, the
last time, without the additional stability and recovery assistance they
provided, saving me many additional falls.

I use Lekis because of the ease of getting repair, when something goes
wrong.  Nearly every outfitter can fix them.  OTOH, other brands need to be
mailed somewhere for repair and mailed back to you -- a big hassle on the
trail.

BTW --The way you hold them is important. It is easier to show than
describe, but her goes.  First, you put your hand through the loop from
underneath the loop. In other words, as the loop hangs from the top of the
pole, you run your hand up from the below and into the loop from the pole
side. (I hope that makes sense.)  Bottom line -- the strap is not to just
keep the poles handy, keep from dropping them, etc.  It is there to take
some of the load.

You only have to hold the poles lightly in the crotch of your hand between
your thumb and forefinger, while resting on the loop. Generally, there's no
need to wrap your whole hand around the pole's handle unless you are using
it for more stability on rough or steep terrain.  Also, when adjusted right
the strap under your hand takes up much of the downward force, meaning you
don't need such a strong grip.  If you end the day having to pry your finger
out of a death grip, you got it wrong.

By holding the poles this way the strap, also, does a better job of keeping
the poles in your hands without requiring you to grip them. It's easier,
then, to keep them moving with each step. Your arms swing at the same pace
as your stride, but opposite the step. So when your left foot is stepping
forward, your right hand is reaching forward.

BTW2 -- the pole with the white dot goes in the left hand.  If you reverse
the hands, the strap crosses the palm with the narrow strap rubbing.

BTW3 -- a good number of folk report that using poles also help reduce water
build-up puffiness in their hands.  Yea, I know you can accomplish the same
by not letting your hand hang, but rather keeping your forearms level and
flexing your fingers as you walk and many do as they run.

Chainsaw