FW: [at-l] Food food food

On Monday, March 8, 2004, at 08:11 AM, April wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, Pittsburgh has hiked the trail, slacked lots of
> people who have hiked the trail, and has a pretty good idea of what is
> NECESSARY to hike the trail...but
>
> what do you like? I hope you and he have talked about this in
> advance...
>

> We are talking about it, but he suggested I get some ideas from you
> guys. and I thought it worth the time because you all might think of
> things I wouldn't.

Some standard items in my foodbag are:

gorp - either homemade or storebought
olive oil
thai noodles - they make a great quick hot soup.  they come with their
own chili oil and seasoning.
one fancy retort packaged indian meal per maildrop.  heavy but good
nutella or chocolate peanut butter
bagels or hamburger buns, pre-squished
cheddar cheese purchased pre-sliced
dried tropical fruits - mango, papaya, pineapple
sugar free koolaid or crystal light
pickles in a short widemouth nalgene
wasabi peas
pudding, with dried milk mixed in at home, in one serving size ziplocks
dry whole milk from the ethnic food aisle
foil meat packs - i can no longer stand the tuna, but the chicken's okay
an assortment of condiment packs from fast food places - hot sauce,
mayo, mustard, honey
	(keep them in a stiff sided container or learn the hard way)
the many flavors of cheese crackers that are available
four or six oreo-type cookie packs
fruit nibbles - those fun shaped "fruit bursters" they make for kids
now instead of fruit leather
	get 'em in dinosaurs, get ones that dye your tongue, whatever.  all
yummy.
flavored cream of wheat or butter flavored grits (with cheese added)
hot chocolate
peppermint tea - good for unhappy tummies
a little bit of crystalized ginger - ditto

Also whatever looks good in town.  The little packs of Pringles rock.
Sometimes poptarts
appeal.

Btw, I am now seeing single-serving size crystal light packs at my
cafeteria.  Very convenient.

-amy