[at-l] Another comment on viruses & zip files

I just received this email notice tonight from my school.  Seems like we are getting hit by a new and more vicious worm/virus.  Everyone be careful out there in the virtual world!

Shelly Hale
----- Original Message -----
From: University of Phoenix
To: Online Student
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 12:47 PM
Subject: Please Read: Important Information

Greetings,

University of Phoenix students have received email which appears to be from the University but is actually a virus.  Typically, these mail messages have a subject line of "Warning about your e-mail account."  If you should receive one of these messages, please delete the email immediately.  If you should accidentally open the mail message, do not open the file attachment (info.zip) as it will infect your computer with a virus.

These messages are not specific to UOP mail servers and are being received from a variety of businesses throughout the internet.  The virus is advanced enough to be able to write its own salutations and email addresses, so you will see it from other companies.  In order to ensure the virus does not get to your system we also recommend updating your anti-virus protection software and scanning your PC to ensure no viruses exist.

Below is a sample of the message being received:

    Dear user of Uophx.edu,

    Our main mailing server will be temporary unavailable for next two days,
    to continue receiving mail un these days you have to configure our free
    auto-forwarding service.

    Pay attention on attached file.

    In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: 10014.

    Best wishes,
      The Uophx.edu team  http://www.uophx.edu

Additionally, attached to this email is a file named info.zip.  DO NOT OPEN THIS FILE!

Thank you,

Internet Technical Support
University of Phoenix Online