[at-l] Maine Hiking

In a message dated 3/5/04 8:40:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, daveh@psknet.com
writes:

> So, what's the consensus, or heated disagreement, about Maine's side
> trails,
> lodging, supplies, shuttles, etc.?
>
> Also, I think someone mentioned a shuttle / slackpack support based
> somewhere around Andover.  The Companion mentions shuttle availability, but
> I not sure which trailheads, or what sort of shuttling they are talking
> about.

All the Andover folks do shuttles, slackpacking, pick-ups, and drop offs. The
trailheads are even cruised looking for hikers needing rides. Now that Peg
Leg has passed away, I don't know about the Andover Guest House doing much
shuttling- it's still open though. I've never heard a complaint about the Cabin,
Honey and Bear (Weary's in-laws?) are wicked nice - be sure to check out the
underside of the table! The most famous sidetrail is the Gulf Hagas, but July
isn't the best time to see it. If the new MATC guide is out in time that'll have
lots of side trail info. Take some mental side trips too- go really slow and
check out the critters and flowers, do a 'Sound-of-Music' spin on Saddleback,
follow the little trails with 'view' signs, climb Rainbow Mountain for a seldom
seen vista of Katahdin, rent a kayak at Harrison's, go swimming a lot. GAMErs
seem to cruise/trudge through Maine, so take your time and have a blast,
Chainsaw!
TJ