[at-l] Important

At 09:08 PM 3/3/2004 -0500, Coosa wrote:
>Marty wrote:
>These emails can be very deceiving, they might for instance try to convince
>you that your ISP wants you to open a file or else your email will be
>disabled.
>
>*******DO NOT OPEN THAT FILE********, immediately forward the email to your
>ISP minus the attachment so that they can make efforts to block it.
>
>*************THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT*************
>
>To repeat, ISP's WILL NOT send you password protected files.
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>This is why I pay an extra $3 a month for Virus/Worm/etc protection from
>my ISP.  THEY do the quarantining and send me a list of quarantined
>items.  MY ISP quarantines the worms and viruses and other nasties that
>people with too much time on their hands create.
>
>http://www.linkamerica.net -- worth every penny (which really isn't ALL
>that much) I pay them.
>
>Coosa Recommended -- who can beat that??? LOL -- Coosa

My ISP does that too. Anti-virus, anti-spam and firewall but they still
recommend that users have their own too because a few things do slip
through. The software doesn't cover new viruses until the virus has become
a problem by slipping through and they can identify it.

My policy on attachments is that I look over my freshly downloaded email
checking for attachments. Any that have attachments are examined to
determine their source. If I don't know the sender I won't even look at the
email. It and the attachment are deleted forthwith. If I know the person
but wasn't expecting an attachment and it is a file type that could harbor
a virus, I will check back with them before opening the attachment. It
appears that Zipped files need to be on that list of attachments to be
cautious about. I'm probably over cautious but I've never been caught by a
virus so far (knock on wood).