[at-l] re: Kool aid stands

> >I have 6,000 people walking near my property now
from the Appalachian
> >Trail."
> >

>A kid and a kool aid stand could make enough to send
>themselves through college.

Block Island (New Shoreham), RI is a popular tourist
spot. It is small island off the coast, that is very
pretty. The Mohegan Bluffs are these sheer cliffs that
drop into the ocean, and is very dramtic looking.
There is also an honest-to-goodness lighthouse on the
island that evokes everyone's mental image of costal
New England.

Though Old and New Harbor are very busy and touristy,
with a bike you can explore the island very easily and
be away from the crowds. Block Island is Nantucket
minus the crowds. It is by far my favorite place in my
home state (though I haven't been in years).

Which brings me to my story. During the height of
tourist season (Mem. Day weekend - Labor Day Weekend),
may people rent bikes and peddle their way up and over
the hills of the island. Though the ocean is nearby,
many people can find themselves very hot, thirsty and
out of breath after biking up these rolling hills.

But wouldn't you know it? At the top of these rolling
hills are some smiling ten year olds selling sickingly
sweet lemonade. The type you would sell at a Kool-aid
stand. Where you may have charged a nickel, a dime or
a quarter (depending on your generation) these
children will charge $2. Most people gladly buy a cup
of Country Time's finest.  I would love to know how
much Jr or Sis make on a hot, sunny Saturday in July.

As a side note, there is a law on Block Island that no
one over 14 can have a drink stand. Curiously, I
always see children serving and maing the
lemonade..but there alway seems to be a parent nearby.
:-)

=====
--Thoreau