[at-l] Last-minute gear questions

Hi Melissa,

Lot's of good questions below.  I'm sure you'll find a bit of overlap in my
answers with the other you've received.  See below...

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

>From: MedusaJ@aol.com
>Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:01:27 -0500
>
>1.  Rain gear.

In the relatively humid east, I find the waterproof breathables (especially
the expensive ones) to be mostly ineffective.  They work based on the
differences in humidity inside your clothing vs outside.  That being said,
they will keep you a bit drier than cheapo stuff for a short time but you're
going to get wet anyway.

Here's the observation I usually pass along.  With non-breathable stuff,
you're going to be wet from sweat inside 30 minutes.  With Gore-tex, you're
probably going to be wet from sweat in 45 minutes.  (YMMV)  On the AT,
you're going to be walking for 8 hours each day.  Is the extra 15 minutes
really going to be worth it?

I didn't think so.  I sent home my expensive (and heavy) Gore-tex jacket and
bought a lightweight waterproof non-breathable jacket that packed in to a
fraction of the size.  I never regretted the decision to do so.  I saw a lot
of other people do the same.

>2.  Is silnylon really worth it?

There's no reason why you can't hike with plastic though if you're going to
use a ground sheet, I would also go with Tyvec rather than plastic.  I used
a silnylon tent and didn't bother to use a groundsheet at all.  If your tent
bottom is waterproof, it just takes a little bit of care when setting up to
make sure sharp rocks and sticks are out of the way to prevent tears in your
tent and save the bulk and weight of the ground sheet.

As for bags and such, I've been making the transition to silnylon and much
prefer not having to worry as much about the plastic ripping and needing
replacements as I go.  They probably weigh about the same as plastic and yet
I don't feel the need to carry extras in case my plastic bags rip.

On the AT, I had to replace my plastic bags frequently.  Since I've bought a
couple of silnylong bags, I have yet to have to replace them.

Plus, they come in all sorts of colors.  You can practically see through the
yellow (good for fishing food stuffs) and with the variety of colors, you'll
always remember which item is in which bag.

>3.  I'm also bringing our very heavy Apex stove.  ...But I have been
>tossing around the idea of ordering a Pepsi-can stove for months now.  ...

I think most white gas stoves are overkill for the AT.  Think of it this
way:  Weigh your white gas stove and the amount of fuel you would need for a
week.  Then consider a soda can stove (1 oz max) and the fuel you would need
for that.  I need about 3/4 oz of alcohol per day to heat two cups of water
to boiling for dinner.  With white gas, I would need just a bit less.  But,
it would take nearly a month (or more) before the white gas stove would be
worht carrying.

There are plenty of places along the AT to get fuel so white gas wasn't
worth it for me.  If you were carrying one stove for a group of people, then
I would definitely rethink.  At that point, the white gas may prove much
more useful.  You can only put so much alcohol in a soda can stove and
having to let it cool, refill, relight, etc would make an alcohol stove
annoying for a group.

I actually used Esbit tablets on the AT but have since used alcohol a lot
and Esbit tablets a bit.  With Esbit, I need just 1 tablet (1/2 oz) for two
cups of water and the bottom of a soda can.  It's my lightest option though
the fuel is rather expensive.

As for testing the stove before you go, that's always a good idea.  The
alcohol stoves are particularly easy to use (no moving parts) so the test is
mostly about just figuring out how much fuel you'll need for each day.  You
also need to get used to the idea that yoiu may not be able to see the flame
on the alcohol stove during the day.

>4.  For both the Apex and the Pepsi-can stove, how much fuel do I need to
>bring for about a week?  This is something it's really tough to get
>estimates on.  Any web links would be helpful.

You'll probably need to experiment a bit because each stove is different.
The shape of your pot and the coverage of your wind screen may also play a
role in this.  But, if you start with a 12 oz bottle of alcohol, thaty
should easily get you to somewhere where you can get more.  You may
eventually find you don't need to carry that much.

>5.  Nalgene vs. soda bottles.

I like Gatorade bottles.  They are sturdier than soda bottles and have a
wider mouth and are much lighter than Nalgene.  I've never had one leak.

As for the black stuff...  If you only put water in your bottles, you'll
probably not have to deal with mold.  If you do like sugared flavorings in
your water, you may find you have to clean your bottles more frequently or
replace them when they get too gross to keep using.

>6.  How essential is a Platypus with a hose?  Will I be okay without one?

Not essential at all.  Many people like them because they are hands-free and
you can drink without stopping.  I find I stay much better hydrated using
that type of system than bottles.  Even when I carry my bottle in a carrier
on my hip belt, I still needed to stop to drink.

If you have days (and nights) below freezing in the spring (likely), you may
not be able to use the hose.  Water will freeze in it (insulators don't work
all that well) and then you won't be able to get at your water.  Make sure
you carry water bottles with the top down to prevent the opening from
freezing.  Water freezes  from top down so an upside down bottle will keep
more water accessible than right side up.  You may have to keep your water
in your sleeping bag overnight.  Nothing like carrying a frozen block of
useless water if your bottle or bag freezes.  If you are using a bag, you
may not want it filled at night if there's a chance it could leak at the
valve.  I know many people who've had leaks here and there.  Not pleasant to
have wet gear (especially sleeping bag) when it's that cold.

>7.  How much water-carrying capacity should I have available at all times?

One liter capacity will likely be enough for most of the trail.  There may
be times when you'll been more but you are usually aware of them long before
you get there and can buy an extra liter or two of Gatorade or soda before
you get there to have more carrying capacity for those areas.

1999 was a drought year and there were times when we had 15+ miles with no
water.  But, we always knew in advance and prepared for those times.

>8.  Does anyone have compass recommendations?

Many find them unnecessary on the well-marked AT.  But, I would carry one
just the same.  You never know if you might end up on a bald in the fog and
need to figure out which way to go.

Most people carry basic compasses.  I have one with mirrored cover (think
spotting and orienteering)that I found useful.  Traveling alone, there were
times when it was really nice to have a little mirror.  It could make tick
checks easier, looking at your own eye if you get something in there,
spotting injuries in awkward places, and more.  Plus, it was a convenient
way to safely carry a little mirror.

>9.  What about flashlights?  ...
>10.  What about a headlamp?  ...

Most thruhikers really do sleep with the sun.  As such, you mostly need a
light for midnight trips to the tree.  Others enjoy night hiking or hiking
until dark and may need a bit more candlepower.

Headlamps are extremely convenient in that they do leave both hands free.

I suggest something like an Ion headlight and a Photon II.

The Ion is smaller and lighter than the Tikka, Zipka, and probably Aurora,
too (check on that).  It takes a fairly standard camera battery but lasts
many hours on one battery.  I can find these batteries at most drug stores
so might either carry an extra or make sure I have an extra in my bounce
box.

The the Photon II (or equivalant), that can be a good backup if the Ion
goes.  The yellow, orange, or red colors (and probably a few others) last
200 hours.  If you get one of these "squeeze" lights, make sure it's the "2"
version with the switch.  Otherwise, if you happen to drop it, it won't stay
on and you won't be able to find it in the dark.

>11.  If I bring duct tape, do I need to carry a repair kit?  If so, what
>should I carry in it?

As someone else mentioned, it realy depends what else you're taking.  For
example, duct tape does not stick to silnylon.  Also, think about the kind
of repairs that can wait until you get to your bounce box vs the ones that
need to be made right away on the trail.  If using an inflatable pad, can
you survive without it until you get to your bounce box?  If not, carry that
repair kit.  Take a look at the rest of your gear and figure out what you
could repair with duct tape and what not.  Don't forget about repairs to
yourself.  Ouch!  ;-)

I am not an advocate of carrying duct tape on hiking poles.  I know it
doesn't weight that much but it does mean you have to lift it with your arms
with every step.  Also, it tends to get dirty on the pole.  The relatively
new flat packs are nice.  You can probably make your own version.  They fit
in snack baggies, too.

Have a great hike!