[at-l] re: Last minute gear questions

Some great questions, if a bit last minute. :-)
But, maybe you will find something that will help you
in all our posts. Additionally, maybe some hikers to
be may find some info for later use.

>>1.  Rain gear.  I've been planning to take your
>>basic cheapo barrier rain/wind pants as my top
>>layer.  Should I fork over $100 for something
>>waterproof/breathable/Goretex instead?

Debatable how breathable is GTX. In the humid areas of
the Appalachians you will often swelter in so called
breathable rain wear. I usually wear the same combo
you do..but only in windy, cold, nasty weather. When
it is warm, I just get wet! Change into dry clothes at
night...

>>2.  Is silnylon really worth it?  My family has been

For ground sheets, I do not suggest plastic bags.
Probably rip very easily. If you want an economical
alternative, why not Tyvek? You can get scraps of it
for free at construction sites or order it online at:
http://tinyurl.com/ha3v
(too late for you, but may help others)
Another less expensive alternative is a painters
plastic cloth avail at any hardware store. Fairly
light, durable and cheap.

If you are using a tent for your shelter, debatable if
you really need a ground cloth. I find ground cloths
typically collect water under the tent more than
anything, causing wetness at the bottom of the bag.
Using a tarp, I do use Tyvek for my ground cloth.

>>3.  I'm also bringing our very heavy Apex stove.  I

More and more hikers are switching to alcohol stoves,
esp. for solo hiking. Most thru-hikers do "boil and
cook" meals, and for three-season hiking, the Pepsi
can stove quite nice for that use. Light, not prone to
breaking down, fuel readily avail. Lot less headaches
than white gas stoves.

>>4.  For both the Apex and the Pepsi-can stove, how
much fuel do I need to bring for about a week?

How much cooking do you do? I find 1 oz of fuel/day is
quite good for an alcohol stove. This assumes 1 hot
meal a day and a hot drink.  Generally speaking, using
more than the standard 11 oz fuel bottle on the AT
(for white gas stoves) is overkill. You can readily
fill up the bottle at least once a week.

>>5.  Nalgene vs. soda bottles.  I have a Nalgene to

I honestly see no reason to use a Nalgene. Heavy,
expensive, and does not come with a drink! :-)
A 1 ltr soda bottle is lighter, comes with a drink,
and is pretty durable. Once you get the black funk on
the bottle (you will know what this substance is
eventually..believe me!), you can easily get a newer
bottle.

Gatorade type bottles are also nice. Slightly heavier
than a soda bottle, but more durable..and still much
lighter than a Nalgene! Gatorade bottles are
widemouthed, which is always a nice feature.

One liter of water every five miles seems to work well
for most people. If there is five miles or less
between water supplies, I only carry a liter. 10
miles? Two liters, etc. On the wet AT, water is
usually not an issue. Your databook will have the
water supply info. Gen. speaking, you can carry only 1
liter at a time. But, you may want to have an extra
bottle to keep handy to fill as needed.

>>6.  How essential is a Platypus with a hose?

In approx. 6000 miles of long distance hiking (and
many strolls in New England,Colorado and Utah), I have
yet to use a Platypus. Call me old fashioned (at the
ripe old age of 29. :D), but I like the simplicity of
water bottles. The hose on a cambelback/platypus tends
to freeze in the March weather anyway.

(I did start using a Nalgene camel-back type set-up
for long-distance running..but that is another thread)

>>7.  How much water-carrying capacity should I have
available at all times?

See number five. In short, I find carrying 1 ltr at at
a time is great for the AT. Carry an empty bottle if
you need it. A Nalgene canteen (or something similar)
is good for dry camping. If you dry camp, have one
liter for dinner and at night, one liter for
breakfast/morning..or two liters total in addition to
whatever water you are carrying into camp.

>>8.  Does anyone have compass recommendations?

Debatable if you need a compass on the AT (but it is
always nice to have). I suggest the Starter 1-2-3 by
Silva. Simple, light, only $10 (or less). It is a true
orienteering compass as opposed to the
thermometer/compass/whistle doo-hickeys you find for
the key chain. Again, debatable if you really need it
on the AT, but the old Boy Scout in me says to take
it!
http://www.ocscoutshop.org/as815825.html

Of course, be sure to know how to use it!
www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

(Site appears to be temp. down..but should be back up)

This site is not as informative, but it is up:
http://www.thecompassstore.com/howtousemapa.html

>>9.  What about flashlights?  I've thought seriously

The Photon Microlight, esp. the orange one, will last
a long time on one battery. I like the PL II as it has
an on/off switch.

>>10.  What about a headlamp?  Will I perish without

Nahh..you don't need one, you won't die. But, it is
handy! Hands free operation at night is quite nice for
cooking dinner, writing in the journal, etc.

With Photon II, you can velcro it to your head, or
make a headstrap out of "Scrunci"; it is usually used
for hair, but it fits the Photon II quite well. Just
loop it in the keyring, tuck it in the band.

If you want a more tradtional headlamp, the Petzl
Tikka has proven itself to be a workhorse for me.
Reasonably light, lasts a long time on one battery,
bright, etc. I use this for night hikes, night biking,
winter camping, and as my headlamp that is always in
my daypack. (There was a lighter version called the
Zippka, but I do not believe it is avail. any longer).

For long distance hikes, I do prefer the Photon II,
however.

>>11.  If I bring duct tape, do I need to carry a

Duct Tape IS your repair kit. :-)  Wrap it around your
hiking pole.  About 10 feet total or so seems to be
adequate. Yogi, a good friend of mine from the PCT,
also carries blanket pins attached to her pack. Five
or six of these add negligible weight to the pack, and
can hold gear together (with duct tape) in an
emergency.

Best of luck on your hike!

=====
--Thoreau