[at-l] Gaiters

At 07:23 PM 3/1/2004 -0800, Orange Bug wrote:
>Is silnylon a good idea for gaiters?
>
>I use short OR gaiters to keep crap out of my shoes as
>well as rain/snow. I expect the Gortex to fail and
>don't worry about it.
>
>I want the sweat (a couple of pints per day per foot)
>to evaporate via the tops of my shoes, at least as
>well as is feasible to keep my feet as dry as
>possible. If my shoes were covered by silnylon,
>wouldn't it be about the same as wrapping it in Saran
>Wrap? Wouldn't you get really hot, sweaty and
>uncomfortable?
>
>Has anyone actually made and/or used silnylon gaiters?
>Gear report please!
>
>Bill...

I had coated nylon gaiters before buying the OR High Mountain ones I have
now. When new they did make my legs hot but fortunately the rubber like
coating did not hold up well in the washer. Since my gaiters get very muddy
and my wife is a neatnik they got washed a lot and the problem was short
lived.

The ORs have uncoated pack cloth tops and I can wear the comfortably in all
but the warmest weather.