[at-l] Emergency Kit.

I have posted this before, so apologies to oldertimers

Re: mylar emergency blanket

1)  I strongly recommend that you consider not carry it as factory packed.
I was involved with a case of hypothermia once where the victim did not have
the finger dexterity to get his unfolded, when he needed it.  Rest assured
that, as factory packed, it will be of little uses once the -umbles
(mumbles, stumbles, fumbles, etc.) set in.  Have you ever tried to separate
those oh so thin sheets at home under good conditions?  I know most packages
say, "Do not open until needed," or something of the sort.  However, I open
mine up at home, crumple / wrinkle it, and repack it.  It is not as small as
it was, but I have some hope of being able to use it with the -umbles, of
hypothermia.

2) Consider carrying "Space" Emergency Bag, or something of the sort.  The
ones I use are the Space brand Thermal Emergency Bag made in the UK for MPI
Outdoor Safety Products in Windom, New Hampshire.  They are same material in
a 36"x84" bag shape.  A search of the WEB should result in a number of site
with them for around $10.

IMHO, a mylar emergency blanket is so thin & light that it is very prone to
blowing about in the outdoors.  A closed mylar bag has additional advantages
of both water vapor barrier protection and of convection heat loss
reduction.

Chainsaw