[at-l] Emergency Kit.

Steve Adams outlines an excellent personal body first
aid kit. This follows the discipline of having a basic
kit on your body at all times, with more extensive
equipment as you put on more gear and clothing. The
personal body kit typically has no redundancy.

He has redundancy built in with the fire, maybe a bit
too much. I've noticed that sweat gets on the
Magnesium brick and makes it a corroded whitish ugly
thing, that still trims up real well and catches fire
easily. I assume you are talking about birthday
candles to help get kindling started. Some folks also
like to carry a film can filled with cotton balls
soaked in parafin or petroleum jelly. The steel with
the flint would also serve to sharpen a knife,
redundant with the "knife sharpener."

I wonder the type of flashlight on Steve's kit. I
expect a Photon type LED.

I also carry a compass, but primarily for the mirror
to help signaling for help. I suspect I could do
better with a small CD (those tiny 1/3rd sized ones
sent free for CME and drug ads) simply threaded onto a
lanyard with the whistle.

If Steve has figured a way to pack this all into a
compact container (cigarette / bandaid box, for
instance), I wounder if there would be room for a
little mylar emergency blanket while losing one of the
fire starting tools.

And the big question: What does it weigh?

Bill....