[at-l] February Journals

It's a slow morning at my house--22 degrees outside, fresh snow, only one
crisis to attend so far.  I have retreated to the library to begin reading some
journals.  Envious, of course.  Interested, yes.  Pulling for them, you bet.

Jackie Bolen's description of the Americans whom she saw in Atlanta as obese
made me feel a little guilty.  I heard that from another Canadian in 1999,
Steady Foot, who was so petite and could not comprehend how we can eat sooo much.
 Jackie is a strong hiker.  If nothing too bad happens, she reads like
someone who will see Katahdin sooner than most.

I was amazed when I got to Joshua Pelletier's journal.  His first entry was
way up the trail, like from Amicolola Park to Helen.  No one can do that!  Then
I realized that he is writing only when he reaches a town.  He is not hiking
59.5 miles/day with a winter pack.  Whew!  Just thinking of it hurt.  He's
been through a long Smokies hike in two feet of snow.  That's not hiking; it's
snow plowing.  Anyway, he was in Gatlinburg last night.  Do you suppose he hit
the trail again this morning?  His name's A-l now.  I'll bet A-l is slipping
and sliding to who knows what shelter in the Smokies today, but I hope he is
nursing his knee instead.  Youth!

Bless their hearts for doing these journals.  They make life off-trail so
much easier, although I might decline reading them if I didn't have such hopes
for thru-hiking in '05.

Kinnickinic