[at-l] Hiking Related Questions---

(1)  Have any of you seen the Mountain Oven Flameless Heating Kit.  Supposedly, it's designed to heat Mountain House dinners, but it's not cheap.  It says on the Mountain House web site that it costs $2.40/use, 5 uses in a kit for $12 srp.  The kit weighs 14 oz., so it's not for lightweight backpacking, either.  How does it work?  Is it worth buying?
http://www.mountainhouse.com/data/new_prdcts.html

(2)  I've been cleaning off my bookcase of hiker-related books.  As for how-to books, what should be my cut-off copyright date?  IOW, is the way hiking and camping was done in 1983 worth anything to me now?  I have a feeling that it's sort of like my father's best camping advice when I started backpacking: "Be sure to trench your tent."  I've been throwing the old books in a box to sell, trash, or give to a scout troop.  Any advice on how to deal with them?  I don't have the burning need for the how-to books, anymore.  I'm more into the Trip Report books, now.

anklebear

"You don't have to know anything about the outdoors to hike the A.T.  It's sort of idiot proof."   Emiko Fergusson