[at-l] A suggestion that Ryan create the OT-L

>"...I'm not sure that Lewis Thomas was correct. Let's try a little experiment.
>Stay silent for a few days, and let's see how Nature reacts."

OB, I think this experiment has already been tried, several times. The list has
often been down for a few days. Some of the gaggling moves on to other lists,
but invariably promptly returns as soon as Ryan gets things together again.

 It's my strong recommendation, OB, that you read Thomas's book. You will
 discover that his thoughts closely parallel mine, or more accurately, the other
 way around.

 Other than an occasional book recommendation, I rarely start a thread on these
lists. I mostly just respond to those posts that strike me as in error, and not
always those. For instance I simply deleted Amber's contention that recent
allegedly OT posts are "crap," promulgated by "assholes."

We have certainly been discussing topics that involve more than how to most
conveniently hike 2,170 miles, as have many, many posts, both now and for years
in the past. Off topic trivia is why Wingfoot broke away years ago in hopes of
creating a more useful list.

 But the recent off topic debates have not been trivia -- or as Amber thinks,
 "crap." For that matter they have not been really off topic. Nothing will have
 a greater impact on trails than the predicted global warming. And though Ralph
 Nader sees no difference between the two political parties, people I respect,
 including those on both sides of the political spectrum on this list, rightly
 disagree.

 OB are you suggesting we shut the entire list down? Or just the participation
 of one member. The latter certainly won't show anything significant. Well,
 perhaps a slight decline in the overall list knowledge. Last fall during
 hunting season several members of our local goose flock in fact were
 permanently silenced. But I can attest that it had no impact on the overall
 sound level as winter wanes.

 Weary