[at-l] SKURKA Coast to Coast hike site on MS

In a message dated 2/26/2004 7:32:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbryankramer@msn.com writes:

> Here's a like to Skurka's Coast to Coast trail hike

Not doing so well, last entry from his website....

Feb 21, 2004 ?? Seekonk MA

It has been two weeks since I stopped hiking, and I am probably looking at
one more week until I can return to the trail.? A doctor diagnosed my injury
yesterday as a muscular strain ? she said there is no chance of a hernia (a
concern because of the location of the pain) and said it is very unlikely to be
skeletal-related.? I feel confident in her conclusion, and thought that was the
most likely scenario from the beginning.

It seems amazing to me that it will take 3-weeks for this muscular injury to
heal fully.? I have had muscular strains in the past but they have only
required 2-3 days of rest.? I suppose that when I consider the severity of the
strain ? when I stopped, I could not lift my knee even halfway level with my hip,
or more than 45-degrees ? it makes sense.?

My biggest concern at this point is the risk of re-injuring my hip flexor or
injuring something else, since I have been a vegetable for 3-weeks now and
have lost the fitness I had going into it the first time.? While before I felt
confident in putting 34-miles in on Day 3, I think I will be confined to 10-15
mile days for the first week at least ? another injury would be demoralizing.

Thankfully I am absolutely positive that all of Pennsylvania and Ohio can be
hiked year-round, so as long as I am out of New Hampshire, Vermont, and the
Adirondacks by early-November, and out of western NY (where there is risk of
lake-effect snow) by the New Year, I should be just fine.? This gives me the
assurance I need to start up again slowly but safely.