[at-l] MIOX????

I am still looking for more info on the MSR MIOX.  However, I got a bit of
info from an outfitter, whom I trust.

He said something alone the lines of the following:

It seems that the EPA standards for registration of a device to be a
"purifier", not just a filter, require that a "purifier" kill/remove 99.99%
of all living matter in the water.  Several good filters were so listed as
"purifier" until the late '90s, when PUR informed EPA that they were having
trouble meeting the standard.  It turns out that, except for the First Need,
none of the devices then registered as "purifiers" met the standard.
Giardia and cryptosporidium were never a problem as long as personal
hygiene, not cross contaminating hoses/filter parts, etc. stayed good.  LOL
Viruses were the only problem with meeting the EPA standard -- hence the
onboard after-filtration iodine treatment to kill viruses.  However, iodine
is a problem for people with thyroid conditions, etc.  It also seems that
iodine filters can also be used in the manufacture of some illicit drugs.
So, I assume the need for some other approach for outdoor vendors.

BTW, during the same period of time, many major municipal water systems,
including Washington, DC's (run by the Corps of Engineers) had major
breakthroughs of cryptosporidium and/or giardia, mainly in the winter.  Both
Crypto and Giardia naturally survive low temperature water, as well as arid
periods, by encysting themselves in a kind of fortified cell wall or shell.
They re-activate in a warm mammalian gut, like ours.  Municipal water
systems filter water and then chlorinate it.  Well, iodine doesn't always
work on cold and/or encysted giardia and crypto, so chlorine just isn't
going to work.  So, I assume the need for some other approach for municipal
water systems.

Along came MIOX as the "new" solution for municipal water systems.

Then came miniaturizing it for the field.

MIOX, steps 7-11, involve litmus paper test strips (good luck doing this in
rain at a spring along side the Trail ;-)}). Assuming everything is great,
step 8-9 takes 10 minutes, and step 11 takes an additional 20, for a total
wait of 30 minutes for a quart of water.  EXCEPT for the SMALL print: Note:
Water contaminated with Cryptosporidium requires a 4 hour wait time.  Hum!
There's always a sign telling you crypto or non crypto, at any water source,
right?   ;-)}

You can increase the dosage produced by the MSR MIOX system to treat up to a
gallon at a time.  In a warm climate (nighttime lows 50 degrees or above),
this would work well for making the next day's water every night, for the
start the day's hike.

It sounds great for car campers, boaters, RV's, etc.  However, for the long
distant hiker/backpackers, I still have reservations.

So, based on what I think that I have found out, I suspect that for us the
best use for the MIOX would be as an after-filtration viral purifier and
anti-re-contaminant, in non-rainy conditions.  The viruses are killed on
contact, or in seconds, and the water stays free of contamination, even on
hot days and with a bit of saliva, etc in the bottle.  And, I understand, it
tastes rather like regular chlorinated tap water.

IMHO (based on what I think I have found out), for the weight and cost, a
filter plus iodine tablets still currently marketed, may still be the way to
go.  Filter the water.  Then if you have any concern about viruses in the
source put the tablet in a quart of water, seal it tightly, and shake it,
waited AT LEAST 30 minutes before loosening the cap and shake out some
treated water over the threads, waited another 10 minutes, and then drink
iodized water.

OTOH, if you have an extra yard and a quarter of cash burning a hole in your
pocket, don't mind the extra weight, and hate the taste of iodized water,
MIOX might be for you.

As always, YMMV and I am still looking for more information.

If anyone has any additional information please share it with the list.
Hey, where are all the engineers/scientist on the list?

Chainsaw